Monday, June 18, 2007

The moment of glory

"Life is short..."
My lecturer would often remind the class. It was his unique way of urging the class to live life purposefully. I never really did understand what he meant, till i bothered to think about my future. I just came from my childhood friend's dad funeral and i had some time to travel back home alone. With his dad now gone, after losing the battle with cancer, I sat at the wake wondering how the future would unfold for him. He now have to shoulder the burden of keeping the family going, and he has to serve NS next month. What about degree? How would life turn out for him? Questions that were running through my head, while the answers not found.
The average lifespan of a person in singapore is about 70 years, with the help of advance medical science and raised quality of life. That is if tragedy don't get you before your time.
I am 20 already. Say i have 50 years ahead of me still...
50 years x 365days each year = 18,250 days.
18,250 days x 24hours each day = 438,000 hours.
438,000 hours x 60mins = 26,280,000 mins.
I am left with 18,250 days to impact this world. To enage culture. To lift Christ's name high. To help those who can't help themselves. To bring the gospel to places where the light don't shine.
After reflecting and reviewing how i have lived my life, i can only say i've yet to live up to the mark. All the worldly pursuits needa go. All the wrong attitudes needa change. All the wrong habits have to be dropped. I gotta change how i embrace the future and live each day in it worth.
"Live for the moment of glory."
-Ps Kong-
I was once lost, depressed and totally messed up. Till Christ came and lifted the veil of my eyes. I now see the value i have in Him. And that value or glory is released by hard work.
Let me explain...Ever saw on TV how some old auntie and uncle save up their life saving and keep them under their bed in old rusty metal boxes? Well, the money was unreleased and its potential was never fully maximised. What about you? Would God be able to say :"Well done my good and faithful servant" or "Man, I had so much more installed ahead of you...
Keep working hard. As you work hard with the spirit of excellence...You shine for Him. And as you keep shining, one day...you'll light up the entire place.
Like how Moses defeated the odds and rose to fulfill God's call in His life as the deliverer of Israel from the Egpytian bondage...and how King David got up, pursued the heart of God and served his generation or how Jesus endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him to fulfill His Father's will. We must arise, and know its time we live for the moment of glory....
May our lives be glorifying to our King.
Amen.